Real Estate Madrid
+ 34 917 245 525

free content


How to renew your driving license in Madrid

Categories // relocation

How to renew your driving license in Madrid

Many expats drive in Madrid with a driving license from their home country or another country. However, is it all right to continue to drive with a driving license from another country? Or do you have to take some action? What do you need to do if your driving license expires?

Are you obliged to exchange or renew your driving license?

In January 2015, new Spanish regulations came into force. This means that you have to exchange or renew your EU or EEA (European Union or European Economic Area) driving licence if you:

  • have been a resident for at least 2 years;
  • you are the holder of a EU/EEA driving license belonging to Group 1 (AM, A1, A2, A, B, BE) that never expires or is valid for more than 15 years; or
  • you are the holder of a EU/EEA driving license belonging to Group 2 (BTP, C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, DE) that never expires or is valid for more than 5 years;

If you have plans to move to Madrid and your driving license is about to expire, you can choose to extend your driving license in your home country (if you are still registered there) before moving.

What do you have to do in order to get a new Spanish driving license if the old one expires?

First you make an online appointment. You visit the DGT website (Tráfico) or you go in person to Tráfico (Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico) in Madrid. There you can get a form stating the required documents that you need. The requirements change from time to time but in 2016 they are the following:

  • form available from the office or to download solicitud renovación comunitarios, at DGT;
  • fees (23,50 euro). You cannot pay in cash, so the best option is to pay by debit or credit card;
  • valid proof of identity (passport);
  • NIE, to prove you are registered in the register of European citizens, original and copy;
  • original driving license;
  • a recent passport photo, 32 x 26 mm;
  • a statement of your physical condition is required. In front of the Tráfico office you will find many medical centres that will carry out these small medical tests (Centros de Reconocimiento de Conductores). They will test your blood pressure, your eye sight and they also do a test to check your reactions. This costs approximately 40 euros.


C/Arturo Soría 125 (first floor: there is a separate queue for foreign licenses)
metro: Arturo Soría
tel: 913018500 or 060 (tel. number of Madrid)

Good luck!

© Quilantro, Lilian Hermans
Image courtesy of nongpimmy,



Interesting? Like to know more? How can we be at your service? Just contact us.


Mission and values




Cookies policy

Data Protection




If you need a mortgage, this company can help you finding an interesting mortgage, as they have close contacts with several banks

Contact details

Calle Hermosilla 48 1º dcha
28001 Madrid

+34 910 483 215
Mon - Fri: 9 am - 6 pm

CIF B-85634954

© 2022 - Quilantro

Real Estate Madrid
+ 34 910 483 215